Chunky Puy Lentil Dahl (Vegan)This is a mildly curried soup which is really closer to a stew. Its just the thing on a cold winter day. As a main course you could serve with some basmati rice.
(recipe by Sarah Wasserman)
Serves four as a main or six to eight as a starter.
3 tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion (diced)
1 mild green chilli (red would be fine too)
4 garlic cloves
1 inch of peeled fresh ginger
1 tsp mild curry powder (madras preferably)
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp ground tumeric
2 small or 1 large carrot (diced)
3 sticks celery (diced)
1 leek (diced)
1 potato (cubed)
300g dried puy lentils (washed)
1 can of chopped tomatoes
pinch of sugar
salt and pepper
chopped fresh coriander
To make the soup:
1) In a large pan warm some olive oil. Add the diced red onion and saute gently.
2) Chop together the garlic, chilli and ginger. Add to the onion.
3) Toast the seeds and grind. Add these and the rest of the spices to the pan and saute for a couple of minutes.
4) Add the carrots and celery. Then add the puy lentils and cook for a couple of minutes before adding the the tomatoes, pinch of sugar, potato and leek. Then add in enough water to bring it to a desired thickness. I used about 500ml because I wanted it quite thick but if you want more of a soup add more.
5) Simmer for 20-30 minutes until the lentils are cooked. Before serving add the chopped coriander.