Borlotti Bean Soup with Pico de Gallo (vegan)
Marcello Navarro, our sous chef, was the first to make this soup at Mildreds and it has proved very popular, not least with the waiters at work, and it is after multiple requests from them (and some customers) that I decided to put this recipe up. The reason I hesitated is its so quick and easy its not really much of a recipe but I guess good things come easy sometimes.
(Recipe by Sarah Wasserman)
For the soup:
2 Cans Borlotti beans (drained and washed)
1/2 large white onion (or 1 small)
5 chopped cloves garlic
1/2 mild red chilli
1 Tsp chopped fresh oregano (thyme or rosemary also make fine substitutes)
1 Tsp powdered vegetable stock
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
salt and pepper
For the pico de gallo:
I large or two small tomatoes
1/2 a white onion (the other half)
1/2 red chilli (again the other half)
1/2 bunch of Fresh coriander
Zest of 1/2 a lime
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp olive oil
1) Finely dice the onion. Warm the olive oil in a large pan and add the onion. Cook till translucent.
2) Add the garlic, paprika and rosemary and cook for two minutes. Add two thirds of the beans, the stock and enough water to cover.
3) Bring to a simmer and cook gently for 15-20 minutes.
4) While the soup simmers, make the pico by taking the taking the seeds and core out of the tomatoes and finely dice.
Also dice the white onion and chop the chilli. Mix together with zest, olive oil and coriander and season.
5) Take off the heat and blend with a stick blender (you may have to add more water). Season. Add the rest of the beans.
6) Serve topped with the pico and maybe some tortilla chips or warm quesadilla's.