(recipe by Sarah Wasserman)
Ingredients:800g pumpkin (peel it if its a large tough-skinned variety, but no need for the smaller thinner-skinned varieties)
1 small white onion
3 cloves of garlic
15 cardamon pods - de-shelled
6 kaffir lime leaves (we get these in fresh, if you're using dried then re-hydrate them in some warm water)
1 green chilli
1) Chop up your pumpkin
2) Toast the cardamon pods until they start to pop (not too hot, you don't want to burn them). Then open up the pods and remove the seeds. Crush the seeds in a pestle and mortar or spice grinder.
3) Saute the onions with the chilli, garlic and add the cardamon
4) Remove the tough vein from the kaffir lime leaves and then slice them. Add them to the onions.
5) Add the diced pumkin, saute for a couple more minutes and then add the coconut milk.
7) Puree the soup with a stick blender then serve.